Thanks Doug - sorry to hear about the heat.
If heat in the locker is contributing to the overheating (if.... ) then you
have other issues.  You can check the hose to the strainer from there.
Weeds if any would be caught in the strainer, for sure check that.
If you are not getting much water through to the exhaust, you may be able to
hear it.  Sounds less muffled.   Mine gets loud - (like jimmy page.  ) Check
your water pump belt tension.  (Btdt)
When mine overheAts a light goes off and an alarm sounds.  Hope that helps.
On a hot day (once at the dock)  I lift the locker lid a bit and open the
little trap door in the galley.  Lets water heater, fridge and engine heat out.
 Yes, the design is less than ideal for shedding unwanted heat.
 Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone