I'm looking for advice please. I've been thinking for a while about
installing permanent preventers or a boom brake on my 30. In the meantime I
attach a preventer, when I think it's required, to either the mainsheet eye
or to the vang attachment.

This week, as I was moving the preventer, we were overtaken by a rain
squall which resulted in a nasty gybe. Nobody was injured, but it scared me
into rethinking my preventer.

Our boom has 2 eyes: one at the end, where the mainsheet attaches and the
other about a third of the length from the mast, where the vang attaches.
I'd like to make a third attachment for a preventer or boom brake about
half way along the boom, but I don't know how to do it. A bale, I think,
will not withstand the lateral strain of a gybe. A friend recommended a
T-ball fitting, but it also is made to withstand strain from one direction
only, I think.

Can anyone recommend a fitting that will attach to the boom and withstand
the strain of a forced gybe? Also is there collected wisdom about
preventers vs boom brakes, etc.?

Thanks
Derek
Tortuga, C&C 30 mk1 #553