Had a similar experience to Gary when I repowered my 38 in 2010.

Had noticed diesel smell, but could not find any leaks in the lines or
fittings. While the engine was out I pulled the old tank to get access for
another project and discovered several pinholes in the bottom of the 20
gallon aluminum tank where it sat on the plywood platform and moisture
collected. I guess I wasn't too surprised or disappointed in finding the
leaks - after all, the old OEM tank had been in place for 35 years.

I replaced the old tank with a 22 gallon monel tank that had come from a gas
powered boat that had been converted to diesel. The tank was cheap and it
fit on the platform. A local machine shop added a fitting to the top of the
tank for about $25, so the whole experience was pretty cheap - probably
under $100. I went to Lowes and bought a small sheet of neoprene (maybe
4"x6"?) gasket material and made some 1" square rubber pads to put between
the new(ish) tank and the wood platform.

And, BTW, both my OEM tank and the monel tank had a threaded collar in the
top for a 1 1/2" pipe fitting. I put in a 90 degree elbow th handle the
transition from horizontal hose to vertical fill.

Rick Brass
Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47
Washington, NC