Hi all,

MIT has decided to dispose of the 1973 C&C custom 43 X Dimension (or XD as
she is affectionately known). The boat is available for free - yes, free!
MIT Legal is preparing a no-cost transfer of title as we speak.

See below a copy of the email from the sailing master announcing the
decision to several mailing lists.

There will be a drawing for those interested to acquire the boat at 1800
next Thursday, October 28, at the MIT Sailing Pavilion in Cambridge, MA.
If you wish to own XD, either you or a friend/representative must be there
in person.

I hope XD finds a good new home, so I am posting on this list. What better
place to find a good owner for a C&C :)

There is information about the boat here:
http://sailing.mit.edu/wiki/index.php/X-Dimension_systems

XD needs a lot of TLC at present, but as far as I know all problems are
fixable. A recent survey found wet core and there is also a list of other
issues. I got a rough estimate from a boatyard in Maine for $35K to fix the
structural problems. How much the rest will cost depends on how much the
new owners could do themselves vs. paying someone else to do it.

The boat is currently in Southport, ME, in the facilities of Hodgdon Yacht
Serivces (or was there last time I heard). There is a plan in the works,
weather-dependent, to return her to Boston on the weekend of Sep 29-Oct 1
(i.e., after the drawing). The rudder (mentioned below) has been repaired.

Despite her problems, XD sailed beautifully every time I took her out
around Boston Harbor last year. I have not seen her at all this season,
because I have been mostly away from Boston / the east coast. I love that
boat and will miss her.

If you would like more information and/or are interested in acquiring the
boat, you can email or call the MIT sailing master - his contact is below.
Feel free to contact me with questions, too. I have a copy of the survey,
which I can email you, and some other useful information. However, I do not
know all details, so best to go through the powers that be at MIT.

Fair winds,

Violeta

--

857-366-1706