Hi

I continue to try and understand what is wrong with my engine without paying
more good money.  And I have started looking for a new motor.

First the problem.  The engine recently started to leak a fair amount of oil
and to start poorly.  We spent a lot of time trying to find exactly where the
leak was from and I had thought it was the head gasket.  The local mechanic,
Charles at Gartside, said he really didn't think it would be the head gasket as
he had never seen an oil leak from one.  We cleaned the engine with brake
cleaner, got some florescent tracing dye, put it in the engine and let it run
for an extended period.  Although we some some oil leak never saw the
florescence with a black light.

Regardless we decided it must be coming from the intake manifold.  Of course
the leak is where it is almost impossible to get to but where the leak occurs
there aren't too many options.  The intake manifold can get too much oil in it
if there is blowback increasing air pressure in the valve and rocker arm cover.
 So, while the engine was running I pulled off the breather hose which runs
from the cover to the manifold.  And there was pressure and there was oil which
blew all over.

Now for the first question.  Everything I read says this is a result of a worn
engine - rings, cylinder walls, etc. which leaks air into the crankcase
building up pressure.  Has anyone ever seen a different reason for this?  I had
a compression test done about 8 months ago and all was fine then.  But that was
then.  My take is a 37 year old raw water cooled engine is not worth that kind
of repair, albeit it only has 2,000 hours on it.

Second question.  I'm currently looking at a Yanmar and a Beta engine.  Any
comments?  The Beta is cheaper.  Also they sell a 25 HP which seems about right
for the boat.  Both appear too wide to get in on my C&C 34.  Anyone have
experience with this?

Thanks
Don Jonsson
C&C 34
Victoria

Sent from my iPad

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!