From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Bruce
Whitmore via CnC-List
Sent: Monday, October 2, 2017 9:59 AM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Bruce Whitmore <bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Stus-List Anchor chain & rode advice, C&C 37/40+

Hello all,

We have a 1994 C&C 37/40+, and the anchor chain connected to its primary
anchor, a 35 lb. Delta, is fused together with rust.  The chain is also about
20 ft. in length, which I suspect is too short, as the conventional wisdom I
think is that chain at least as long as the boat is highly recommended in order
to keep the anchor set.

Then there is the line, which is about 150 feet, which equally I think is a
little short, though we are located on the west side of Florida where anchoring
in 20 feet of water is almost an impossibility unless we're stupid enough to
set anchor in the middle of the ICW.  That said, we will eventually want to be
doing some cruising down into the Caribbean, so I'm thinking carrying some
additional rode poses little downsides.

Finally, I've read that the recommended line size is 1/8" for every 9 feet of
boat length, but of course that is somewhat relevant as to windage and boat
weight.  I consider our C&C to be relatively low both on the windage and weight
scales, especially compared to the 40 foot powerboats I've seen out there.  The
1/2" line (which is on the boat now) has a breaking strength of 7,500 lbs., but
I presume the issue is more about chafe protection than breaking strength per
se.  So, the questions are as follows:

1).  What size, type and length of chain would you recommend?  We don't have a
windlass now, but may eventually put one in.

2).  Should I go with 9/16" line vs. the 1/2"?  What length would you recommend
if you were going to consider cruising in the Caribbean?

I'm thinking of carrying 40 ft. of BBB chain and 250 ft. of rode on the primary
Delta anchor, and perhaps a little less on both chain and line for our
secondary (a Danforth), though I'm not sure that carrying the lesser amount on
the secondary is advisable.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)
bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:bwhitm...@sbcglobal.net>

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!