Bruce,

I'm in the process of upgrading/modifying my ground tackle in preps for a
manual windlass.  The PO had arranged a 35lbs Bruce claw with 20' of 3/8ths
BBB chain shackled to 3/4" double braid which had an eye splice and
thimble.  The thimble was huge and made retrieving the anchor difficult
since getting the thimble to roll over the bow roller was almost
impossible.  I never had to ride out a severe storm but there were a few
spirited nights which held securely.  Some people don't sleep well on the
hook but I never had a problem.

As for the upgrade:  I found a manual Simpson Lawrence Anchorman 500 on
ebay for ~$200.  It came with a gypsy that is designed to seamlessly
transition from rode to chain.  Multiple gypsies were available but this
one takes 9/16th g4 chain and 1/2 rode.  I'd hear good things about plated
nylon rode (it doesn't twist and cause hockles in the chain) so while I was
wondering Bacon Sail in Annapolis I purchased their ~150 feet.  I was also
prepared to buy cut chain but when I toured in the back I found a small
cardboard box labeled 9/16 g4 35'.  It was a little shorter than I had
planned but not too much shorter.

I do all my own rope splices and rigging so it wasn't too much to find the
instructions for doing a chain to rode splice.  It turned out pretty well.
I have yet to install the windlass.  This season had only necessitated
anchoring for 1 single 30 minute swim call.  Evidently the plated rode
swells when wet so my 50' flakes jammed tight and I couldn't untie the
first one.  I was only able to set the anchor with the chain in 7 foot
depths.  It held fine and pulled up a huge clump of mud but I wouldn't have
trusted it.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+