My 36XL/kcb is of a different vintage but I believe it was a slightly scaled
down version of the C&C 37/40 of the late 80s/early 90s. Yours may be very
different.

FWIW, the center boards of the above vintages were fiberglass filled with lead.
On my 36, the board weighs about 1000 lbs.

My pin is ~ 4 inches in diameter SS--it will never need replaced although it
may need to be removed to fully access the entire board.

After I my pennant separated about 6 years ago (while the board was up of
course!), the board swung on the pin and when it hit the trunk, the board
was torn apart and went to the bottom. AFAIK, the pin is accessed by removing
the fiberglass on both its ends and 'driving' it out, which the yard had to do
to install a newly fabricated board. I consider this a big job--YMMV. The pin
is supported by SS brackets bolted into the trunk on both sides, which are then
glassed over
to match the centerboard foil.

If your board is weighted, be VERY CAREFUL working to free it up. If it is
weighted, with or without a pennant, and it lets go suddenly, no part of a human
body will stop it. Even if the pennant is attached, the shock loading on it or
the fittings of the board when it falls down to its normal sailing position,
could
cause damage to the boat and potentially destroy the board or at least pull the
fittings out.

I keep my clean mostly by using it (dropping the board down for upwind racing)
and trying to have it down when the bottom is cleaned in the water before a
race,
which is approximately monthly.

The cb boats of the above vintages (probably other manufacturers as well)
require that the board be at least partially inside the trunk even when in the
fully down position,
which is determined by the pennant stop on the C&Cs, usually on the cabin top.

If the pennant fails, the board will extend outside the trunk without any
athwartship support and MUST NOT be sailed under these conditions since the
board and pin may
be wrenched out of the boat. This would turn a bad day into a REALLY BAD day.

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb

cenel...@aol.com