Lisle,

One other thing you might ask yourself is why is the C&C's table a fold
down vs the Tartan's fold up bulkhead mount.  The answer lies in the
location of the forward bulkhead and mast.  Where does that 2-3 feet go?

In the C&C, it's part of the dinette.  The bulkhead is more forward opening
up the main saloon more.

In the Tartan, the bulkhead is more aft making the main saloon smaller but
possibly adding to the V-berth.

Personally, I prefer a dinette layout to a double settee layout.  I think
it's really nice to have friends sit around the dinette style table rather
than across from each other in the double settee layout.  Just my
preference.

In my 35-1 I kind of get the best of both.  The overall layout of the 35-1
is more like the Tartan in that the mast is by the forward bulkhead.  The
table sits on a pedestal in the middle of the dinette.  I can remove the
table and pedestal (but not the pedestal base) to create nearly the same
open area as the Tartan.  Some boats have a flush mount pedestal base for
the table.  That's even better because the base isn't in the middle of the
space to trip over.  I can also lower the table, add the filler cushions
and convert the dinette to a berth or, in your case, a really nice play
area for the kids.

There are some different interior layouts out there.  One that I like is
the Beneteau 361.  (I like the interior layout, not necessarily the boat.)
It has a dinette style with the table around the compression post.  Under
the table is a slide bar.  Pull the slide bar out and the table can be
placed in one of 3 positions; lowest as a filler to convert the dineete to
a berth, middle, for dining and lastly high, in which case it is up against
the headliner to create an open space.

Just more to clog your mind.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:09 AM, Lisle Kingery, PhD via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the helpful replies on cabin table options. I've pretty
> much narrowed my boat choices down to either a C&C 30MKii or a Tartan 31 at
> this point. The Tartan's interior appears more open with the folding table
> mounted on the bulkhead vs. the fixed table on the C&C. I will mainly be
> day-sailing and hanging out on the dock with a few overnights so I'm
> thinking the more open cabin might work better with the kids. comparison
> pics link below.
>

> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5w1TuAY4gTRam1qNlBuWExhSW8
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lisle

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!