We happen to have owned a C&C 1980 30-1 dinette for the last dozen years
and still own and love her, and also now own a 1994 Tartan 31. The older
30-1 isn't the same as the 30-2, but the dinette vs foldup, etc., and some
other issues seem the same.

The Tartan does have bulkhead mounted chainplates, visible both sides. They
seem strong and adequate to me at least, and we've done heavy weather
sailing across 100 miles of the middle of Lake Superior. The C&C is tough,
and the dinette is lovely as there's always a place to sit and set a book,
laptop, or cup of coffee down. The Tartan table we often leave halfdown
(one side folded) at anchor or slip, to get somewhat the same function. The
Tartan has dramatically better engine and drive train access (I've had to
pull the older C&C transmission and engine from under the cockpit myself
... to replace failing rubber drivetrain seals). The Tartan doesn't point
quite as high as the amazing C&Cs, and is more tender than the wonderfully
stiff 30-1. The Tartan is also nearly a full knot faster under sail or
power, which compensates for the wider tacking angle. The Tartan has a much
better galley, head, more useable cockpit, and amazingly well-insulated
refrigerator.  Our Tartan came with lovely all-Harken big stainless winches
(:-)). Our Tartan has a Westerbeke 18hp which does not leak, and the older
C&C has the Yanmar 2qm15 which has always leaked oil in spite of my many
efforts.

Our Tartan had extra teak cabinets and teak paneling added as factory
options when built, so it is like a wonderfully warm old English den down
below, which instantly sold my other half on the bigger pricetag. My
favorite thing is that the (opening) ports are real, not glued in windows
(30-1) that leak even after redoing....

Nate Flesness
Sarah Jean
C&C 1980 30-1