From: Rick Brass via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2017 10:42 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass
Subject: Re: Stus-List Mooring Rights -- Any "Sea Lawyers" on the List?

Edd, I hate to say it but you’re involved in a bucket of s … well, let’s say a
can of worms.

Some states have abandoned and derelict boat laws, most don’t seem to. And
local laws are sometimes conflicting and hard to find. (For example, the local
regulations in New Bern, NC are part of the local zoning code and Oriental, NC
– where there are more sailboats than people – has no regulation at all.) I
wouldn’t expect too much from the USCG because they seem to be pretty
disinterested unless the offending boat is a hazard to navigation. I’m rapidly
gaining expertise on this because of growing problems we’re having in the
harbor an Washington, NC, where I manage the municipal marina.

In North Carolina you can send a registered letter to the last owner of record
for the offending boat. If he doesn’t claim the letter in 30 days, or if he
gets the letter but does nothing, you can go to the State and apply for title
to the vessel, which takes another couple of weeks. Then you can move, sell,
dispose of, or scrap the boat because it is yours.

I’d start by contacting the state agency that handles registration of boats in
the state where the boat is currently. They can tell you what your options are.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC

---