Josh,

I use the term stopper as a generic for sheet stoppers, halyard stoppers,
jammers, rope clutches, or almost any kind of mechanical cleat (except a cam
cleat.  I call those cam cleats).  I have some really old Schaefer rope
clutches that work just fine.  They hold 3/8” or 10mm line well, 7/16” most of
the time too.

I don’t think there is any serious concern if the sheave is slightly too large.
 Yes, the halyard will be slightly flattened, as it will not be supported quite
as well, but as long as the difference is only 1/8” or so, it’s not an issue.
A serious mismatch (1/4” or more) might be cause for some concern, but it would
be the long term damage from being repeatedly flattened and reshaped as the
line runs over the sheave.

Jake

Jake Brodersen

C&C 35 Mk-III “Midnight Mistress”