I have two kids in expensive colleges and two more on deck.  There’s no way I
could have afforded our boat if it had retained anything near its original
value over a 40-year period.

Besides, if all had new boats, we wouldn’t need this list.

From: Randy Stafford via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:50 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Randy Stafford
Subject: Re: Stus-List Landfall 38 original list price

Well, I paid about 20% fewer dollars in 2016, for both boat and trailer, than
the first purchaser paid in 1972 for the boat alone - not even considering the
difference in purchasing power between a 1972 dollar and a 2016 dollar.

I agree with you that what gets inflated is the money supply - the number of
dollars in circulation. It takes six more dollars in 2016 to buy the same thing
you could get in 1972 with one dollar; the purchasing power of a 1972 dollar
was six times that of a 2016 dollar.

If my boat had held 100% of its original value, and cost $120,000 in 2016
dollars due to inflation of the money supply over 44 years and lower purchasing
power of a 2016 dollar compared to a 1972 dollar, I sure as hell couldn’t have
afforded it :)

Cheers,
Randy

  On Feb 15, 2018, at 4:40 PM, Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List