My two cents,

I had the Martec Folding Eliptic on our boat from 2002 to 2007. I had a few
close calls when it wouldn't open. These may have been my inexperience with a
large boat. It seemed like I needed to put it in reverse at four boat lengths
from the dock to get it to stop reliably in my slip. I had many doubts about
the folding prop at the time, but I've since learned better boathandling skills
and learned to respect the design.

I did much research at the time and learned most racers use this prop because
it has the least drag. My Martec prop was on it's last legs and well worn. To
replace it, I chose a MaxProp two blade feathering prop. That was eleven years
ago. I am happy with it, as it is quicker to deploy and stops quicker and the
gearing maintains balance. I think it is more forgiving and reliable. I do
align the coupling before a race so the blades are vertical, because of the
angled shaft, that gives me the least drag. People who cruise more than race,
buy the three blade version for better grip in bad weather. Our two blade (size
determined by Pyacht) does lose grip in strong (twenty five knots plus)
headwinds and boat speed suffers down to 5 or 4.5 knots.

I made blade alignment fairly easy on my 34R. I painted the coupling and
transmission white, so you simply open the rear panel of the engine compartment
and turn the coupling by hand until a black line on the coupling lines up with
a black line on the transmission and the blades of the prop will be vertical.
The friction of the wax seal holds it for the race or a long cruise.

In hindsight, if I had a healthy Martec Folding Eliptic, I would use it, and
get the rebuilds, but when time came to replace it, I would probably do what I
did before and get a geared feathering prop, especially if I planned to motor
for long periods or cruise. The geared prop gives instant response but is
slightly more drag and twice the cost, so maybe not for everyone.