Bruce;

My 38, Imzadi, came with a 16x10 ½ RH Martec prop when I bought her in 2003.
16x10 ½ was the prop recommended for my 15,000lb boat with a 36hp engine and
whatever gear reduction I have. I was quite pleased with the performance. It
would get hull speed (about 7.2 kn) at 2400 RPM and reach 3000 in a pinch.
It took me a month or two to learn the trick to reverse: Hit the throttle
high to unfold the prop (with moderate forward speed and moderate throttle,
the flow of water keeps the prop partly closed… so performance sucks), once
the boat is moving aft fast enough for flow over the rudder you shift into
neutral and steer with the rudder. I’ve been backing into my slips for 14
years and have only hit the dock a couple of times. BTW, the prop does give
a fair amount of prop walk.

My prop must have been near the end of its third life, because after a
couple of years one of the “ears” in the hub broke and I had to replace the
prop with a 2 blade fixed prop of the  same diameter and pitch. I found that
I lost about ½ knot of boat speed when sailing in light to moderate winds.

I bought a used Martec that was 17x10 and had Martec refurb it. I was
greatly over propped, and could barely get to 2000RPM. Also had a vibration
because the prop tips were too close to the bottom of the boat, I think.

I replaced that Martec prop with a Gori geared prop: Their recommended prop
is a 16 ½ x10 was still overpropped because of the blade profile, and
frankly, after 3 years of use, I was more satisfied with the Martec. When I
discussed the overprop situation with them while the boat was being painted
last winter, they said that the 10 pitch was the lowest they had in the 16 ½
diameter, and going to a smaller diameter would involve getting a whole new
propeller. At their suggestion I had a local shop trim 1/2'” from the tip of
each blade. It is better, but still not as good as the Martec.

You mention that your prop is 18x12, which seems like a lot of prop
depending on your engine max RPM and HP, gear reduction, and boat weight.
Before you spend money on reconditioning the prop, you might want to ask
Martec what prop diameter and pitch they recommend for your boat.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC