The first sign that the anode has lost its magnesium (and the iron core is
exposed) is the bad smell (sulphuric) from the tap. If you notice that, you are
a bit too late for replacing it.

Marek

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of Josh Muckley via
CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2018 05:48
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List water heater

In my link there is a picture of the anode for the 6 gallon Raritan.  This one
is integrated into the hot water nipple.  Nothing remained of the original.
They start as 1/2" to 3/4" diameter rods and will typically be as long as can
be accommodated by the tank.  In this case, about 12".  There is an iron core
which gives the anode strength and electrical continuity.  It is not uncommon
to have the core be the only thing left.  In my case even the core had rusted
away.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8pEh5lnvP1ydEpoMU1MWmx6Qms<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdrive.google.com%2Ffolderview%3Fid%3D0B8pEh5lnvP1ydEpoMU1MWmx6Qms&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cecf27e8c83b7425f854f08d580f4569b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636556709270091919&sdata=LsqFS26CRzd9yc42ITnzMhr30UwXQFpPPJjRDauLvQA%3D&reserved=0>

I've wondered if anode wastage was a likely problem since the water heater AC
is coming from shore power.  If shore power can waste your shaft anodes why not
the one in the water heater?

Josh

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018, 10:42 PM Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
Most often, the anode is part of the pressure relieve valve (the one that if
you open it once, it does not close back properly).

Marek