You don't have to remove the top plate.  Take the tension off the halyards,
or the sheaves will get pulled down into the mast.  Turn the mast so the
sheaves are facing down.  If the spindle is attached to the metal tab (not
all of mine were), just pull it out, remove the old sheave and insert the
new sheave.  If the spindle is not attached to the metal tab, you might
have to drill a small hole in the opposite side of the mast, in order to
push the spindle out.  I replaced my halyards with all rope halyards.  I
used sheaves from Zephyrwerks http://www.zephyrwerks.com/.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC