My Barient 27's are developing a lot of play.  The aluminum drums wearing
badly (the inside, not the outside).

The rest of the winches are in great shape, gears, bearings, pawls.  I was
wondering if anyone on the group has ever tried having a machine shop bore
out the interior of the drum to accept a sleeve of aluminum or oilite
bronze. I contacted Hutton Winches in Australia and they told me they do
this service for $400/drum. Obviously, shipping 2 large winches to Australia
and back would be out of the question.

Anyone had this done at a local machine shop?

Mike Amirault

C&C33ii Lovely Cruise

SMSC