For those of us who have Universal or Westerbeke diesels that use the
Sherwood G908 clamp mount raw water pump, here's some news.  (The
Westerbeke number is sometimes 42175.)

Changing the impeller on the Sherwood is a bit of a pain because the bolts
come in from behind.  You can either remove the pump by removing the two
clamps, or remove the pump case by removing the 3 bolts and lifting the
case off.  Then you have to make sure the o-ring is properly seated upon
reassembly.

Another issue with the Sherwood is that it often leaks.  Unlike many pumps
that have a shaft seal, the Sherwood impeller seals against a brass wear
plate on the back of the pump.  If the wear plate, which is fairly thin,
bows outward or has excessive wear, the pump will leak raw water.  In a
salt water environment, this tends to have a deleterious effect on the
engine front.

I replaced the thin wear plate on my Sherwood with a thicker stainless wear
plate that I found on eBay.  That helped reduce a nagging leak.

Although I don't need it yet, I found a drop in replacement, Oberdorfer
N202M-908.  This pump is a more traditional design with shaft seals.
Access to the impeller is from the front by removing the cover plate.

The Oberdorfer N202M pump has been around for many years and is a standard
marine engine raw water pump.  A version is used on the good old Atomic 4.  It
fits many marine diesels by being available in several models.  The
differences are in the mounts for attaching it to the engine.  Some
resourceful boat owners have modified Oberdorfer N202M-16's to fit the
clamp mount configuration.  Oberdorfer now offers the clamp mount as the
908 model.

I found one thread on a Catalina owners site which questioned the pumping
capacity of the Oberdorfer on an M-35 engine.  I was not able to find the
capacities of the two pumps but found many posts from boatowners who were
using the Oberdorfer N202 series pumps on various Westerbekes and
Universals successfully.

The other good news is the Oberdorfer is a fraction of the cost of the
Sherwood.

I'm considering replacing the Sherwood with the Oberdorfer even though the
Sherwood is doing fine....right now.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA