Hi,

I painted the deck on my 29-2 last year. Absolutely massive job. One I likely
wouldn’t take on again. Like any painting project, the preparation aka sanding
is the most important thing. I come from a cabinetmaking background and have
spent plenty of time sanding. I still found this to be a huge undertaking. My
deck was as far as I can tell previously painted with Awlgrip. The glossy areas
were somewhat dull and had surface cracks in areas but the real issue I had was
the non-skid was very slippery. My boat was under its winter cover for this
work which kept it dry-ish and warm-ish, but does make for a sore back being
hunched most of the time.

Sanding/prep - I used a 5” orbital sander wherever possible. I made sanding
tools for inside radii from 1/2” dowel with 1/8” thick foam wrap around them.
I’d make them just shorter than the length of a piece of standard sandpaper,
around 9”. And then would hold the paper around the dowel while sanding. I use
Norton 3X paper almost exclusively. I started by sanding down to 80 grit
everywhere, getting the old non-skid smooth. Repaired any cracks, surface
defects and so on with System 3 Quik-fair epoxy which is pre-thickened, easy to
mix, and fairly fast curing. I have from Lee Valley, their 8” Bent Detail File,
#62W30.67 which was absolutely indispensable for shaping inside corners. It
cleanly cuts filler and fiberglass and can even clean up an errant paint drip.

Lots of vacuuming up dust. Remove almost every bit of hardware, tape up
everything that can or needs to stay. Pull off the anchor locker lid, cockpit
seat/lid, anything that can be worked on at a table. I proceeded to sand up to
180 grit after filling everything I didn’t like. I have a 3M half face mask
that I swap with P100 dust cartridges or organic filters depending on the task.
I did a solvent wipe-down with Awlprep T0170.

Priming - I used Awlgrip 545, which is a two part epoxy primer. Absolutely
toxic and very very thin, making brushing it smooth very hard to do. I was
advised it would be wise to use it to form a good bonding surface between the
old and new paint. Two coats were suggested but I couldn’t bring myself to do
it. Too much work.

Painting - I painted with Awlgrip Matterhorn White. I didn’t flatten the glossy
areas since they make up a relatively small visible area compared with the
non-skid. Before painting, I sanded the 545 primer to 220 grit, smoothing out
the inevitable drips and runs and misery that primer causes. I vacuumed,
solvent wiped again and proceeded with the topcoat. I was advised to thin 10%
for the first coat and as much as 30% for the second coat. Thinner is added
while working due to evaporation. No solvent wipe between topcoats was also
advised. I scuff sanded between topcoats with 400 grit. The topcoat is a
miracle of chemistry that when everything goes right and the temperature is
good and humidity and skill of the painter all come together, it looks like a
sprayed finish. It levels out so nicely that brush strokes disappear into each
other. I used foam brushes although I had a fancy badger hair brush on hand. I
had to break up the boat into sections and I didn’t want to buy a half dozen
badger brushes. I had devoted about a month of effort to get the glossy paint
on and to be ready for the non-skid.

Non-skid - I went with Kiwigrip Grey rather than attempt to match whites. I
bought a gallon and needed an extra 2 quarts to finish up. I masked off the
glossy paint after a couple days of the Awlgrip curing. I used 1/4” vinyl tape
for the corners, and then regular 3/4” for straight lines. Roughly 8 hours to
mask everything... Start with hatches to get a feel for it and determine your
technique for texture. With the previously sanded surfaces ready at 80 grit and
then scuffed the new Awlgrip up to the tape line so there would be good
adhesion. Applying the Kiwigrip, I found it easy to glop it onto your surfaces
with a 2” wide stick of plywood, spread evenly with a V notch trowel, and
follow up with their 3” roller to achieve the desired texture. It’s relatively
easy, forgiving and doesn’t smell. It is important to remove the masking tape
while it’s wet so the edge lays down nice or it could get lifted with the tape.
Plan accordingly to peel in 3-4’ sections as you work along.

Once you are done the paint, you will also have to paint your opening ports
since they now look dingy. Same for the vents. And in my case my pedestal. And
then re-install everything you took off, re-bed, etc.

This project roughly coincided with nearly losing my sense of smell. I took
every precaution I could in terms of new cartridge filters, gloves, long sleeve
shirts, safety glasses. And my smell thing could be coincidental, but I still
wonder if the chemicals found their way past my mask.

Anyway, that’s my story. I’m ultimately happy with the way the boat turned out
and expect it will be good for a decade plus. Good luck!!

Derek McLeod
1983 C&C 29-2, Aileron
Toronto