Great suggestions.  Will do. Was planning on grade 8 bolts.Can do alot of
thinking during my 6 hour tow back to my slip!Thanks jim
-------- Original message --------From: Dreuge via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 5/24/18  11:07 AM  (GMT-05:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Dreuge <dre...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: Stus-List
Coupling bolts shearing
When I was installing my rebuilt Yanmar 3QM30, I called the folks at
Transmission Marine Inc in Fort Lauderdale, FL for some advice (and I needed to
purchase a replacement dipstick for the paragon).  They strongly stressed the
importance of precise shaft alignment to avoid future problems.  First
mentioned was the Walter v-drive seals failing is not properly aligned.   I
spent plenty of time aligning using feeler gauges on all sides of the coupler.
After the first year, I verified the alignment.   So far, I have not have any
issues with the v-drive coupler.
I would NOT recommend stainless steel bolts.  As I recall, stainless has less
than 25% of the sheer strength compared to a grade 8 bolt.  Grade 8 bolts are
industry standard for demanding applications such as automotive suspensions.  I
used nickel anti-seize on the bolts and keep the coupler painted and corrosion
free.

-
Paul E.1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose