Jim’s boat has a Westerbeke 35D engine (3 cyl, 35HP) and Borg Warner BW7
transmission, with the usual V drive arrangement of a LF38. Engine and
transmission were both newly installed in 2010. Had 140 hours on engine when
the boat was purchased in 2015. About 200 hours on it now, as Jim has said.

Seal on the hydraulic pump in the Borg Warner transmission failed during the
delivery from Charleston to Washington, NC in 2015 (seal had dried out during a
couple of years when the engine only accumulated 4 hours of use by the PO,
apparently). So the transmission was rebuilt at that time.

There is a “damper” between the engine flywheel and the input shaft of the
transmission. According to the illustration in the parts book, it looks sort of
like the spring loaded pressure plate in a clutch arrangement. But it seems
pretty unlikely that the damper would have failed with only 200 hours on the
engine.

The Walter v drive hasn’t got much space under it for the coupling, so Jim’s
boat has a relatively small diameter coupling with 3 bolts in it.  As Jim has
said, this is the 3rd time in two years that the bolts have sheared off. As he
has said, the feathering prop has been rebuilt, the shaft checked for
straightness, bolts replaced (though there is a question whether the latest set
is grade 5 or grade 8), engine aligned repeatedly(and BTW the motor mounts are
new), etc., etc., etc. Jim (and everyone else aware of the problem) is getting
really frustrated.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC