Howdy Rob,
Early versions of the 870 engine control didn't have the throttle tensioning
screw located on the starboard aluminum "boss" on the control casting.  The
common option to reduce the effect of the throttle return spring was to install
a cable clamp around the throttle cable with just enough tightness to create
friction and keep the throttle from closing.  My Landfall 35 has a different
control (model 737) than yours but has the same clamp arrangement. Getting the
right setting is a bit of a trial and error arrangement and will vary with
cable wear.

As an alternate solution, you can drill and tap the casting to accept a 1/4"x
3/4" 20 tpi thread bolt or screw and bear down slightly  on the plastic collar
through which the throttle lever runs on the control.  Its not a bad idea to
replace the white plastic collar when you do that.   Keep in mind that you can
adjust or remove a clamp mounted externally from the pedestal if it is located
in an easily accessible spot, but having the adjustment inside the pedestal
requires removing the compass to make adjustments over time.  (More work, yes,
but it is also an excuse to lubricate the pedestal wheel shaft bearings and run
some 30 weight oil over the steering chain with a rag and check for broken or
worn teeth on the sprocket, you know, the annual steering inspection and
service that virtually nobody ever does...)

I also know that Edson recently revamped their website and their tech bulletins
weren't available online for a while.  They're up and running now and the one
you need to reference is here:
https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB396EngineControlInstr.pdf
Hope this helps... give a shout offline in case you need more info.
Cheers,
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 LF 35