Eric,

You didn't say what engine.

I've had a couple issues that might be helpful.

On launch a couple years ago, there was no raw water flow.  Fortunately my
slip was mere feet away and I got the boat docked.  On investigation, I
traced the problem to pluggage in the raw water inlet upstream of the
strainer.  I had to use dock water to blow it out the thru-hull.  Never did
see what it was.  Mud dauber nest?  Practical joker stuffing something up
the thru-hull while the boat was one the hard?  No clue.

The other issue is related primarily to Universal/Westerbekes that have a
zinc in the heat exchanger.  I had to pull the end caps and remove several
pieces of pencil zinc in the exchanger.  See:

https://marinehowto.com/westerbeke-universal-marine-heat-exchanger-cleaning/

The engine began to slowly overheat at higher rpm's.  Once I removed the
zinc pieces, the temperature returned to normal.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA