Thanks for all the helpful input. As some suggested, the problem is almost
certainly a clogged exhaust elbow.  Several years ago (7 or 8?) the same thing
happened but as we were motoring slowly up to our mooring. The yard fixed it by
replacing the exhaust elbow.  So it is clearly time to do that again. Thanks
especially to Francois Rivard, who supplied a detailed description of the
problem and its solution.  BTW, some asked what engine it is.  It’s a Perkins
Perama M30, installed by the PO, probably around 1985. Showing its age in terms
of surface rust, but still running fine.
Eric Frank
Cat's Paw
C&C 35 Mk II
Mattapoisett, MA