The shunt should always be installed on the ground as near to the battery
terminal as possible.  NO OTHER connections should be attached to the
terminal.  ALL LOADS need to be attached to shunt (the side of the shunt
that is not attached to the battery terminal).  All this being said, there
is no good reason not to have the shunt in the battery compartment and even
on/attached to the battery.  Keeping it there ensures future installations
don't inadvertently get attached directly to the battery terminal.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD