I took the adjuster to a local shop today.  They wanted $125 just to fix
the leak.

I talked to Lew Townsend in Seattle.  He quotes about $400 to go through
the entire unit and change all the seals, etc.  The seal kit is a bit over
$100.  I think that since this is a fairly important piece of equipment
sending it to Lew is the best decision.  He has such a good reputation I
have a high comfort level with him.  It's not a place to cheap it!

Unfortunately, Lew is going sailing until mid-July.

I intend to rig a temporary fix until I get the unit back from Lew.  I left
the toggle on the transom tang.  I'll put a snatch block on the toggle.
I'll put a shackle in the head fitting on the lower end of the backstay
(it's rod), run a line from the bottom of the backstay through the snatch
block to a second snatch block on a padeye on the cockpit coaming then to a
secondary winch.

The Admiral and I don't have any races or hard sailing scheduled so we
should be fine.  We want to go see the Blue Angels perform over Pensacola
Beach in a couple weeks and perhaps watch a Blue Wahoos baseball game but
that's it.  Time to do some needed maintenance.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA