Chuck,

First let me say that I love my 37+ (tall mast wing keel).  The queen sized
birth in the aft and the standup shower along with the PHRF of 75 all make
for a great combination.  The very deep, partially balanced rudder means
that getting rounded up is virtually impossible.

*Now on to the dirt:*

I don't have a lot to compare to and certainly no other 37/40s but I find
the boat to be pretty tender.  Edd Schillay has said that his boat races
best with 10 to 12 crew and most of them are rail meat.  It really seams to
come down to mast height.  I do have the tall mast, so that could be
exacerbating my situation but a single foot seams like it would be
insignificant.  Really I think the standard rig is probably just about as
tender.  The deepest and heaviest keel you can accommodate on your sailing
grounds would be the best.

As for the wing keel I've never had any problems.  Supposedly, the wing
keel can get tangled on underwater grass, plow/scoop mud, and looses
pointing ability... I don't have a reference point to compare but I kinda
perceive that the lighter swing keels spend much of their time up.  Even
when down the lighter weight kinda ends up being a wash compared to the
wing.  If your slip and sailing grounds can accommodate then seek out the
deeper, heavier wing keel.

I order to accommodate the queen sized aft birth, they had to sacrifice
having an additional quarter birth or a large lazaret on port or stbd.
Additionally, in order to create limited head room in the birth the cockpit
floor is high - specifically the companion way.  Consequently the boom is
high, making mainsail handling a challenge but dodger height needs to be
low making for a crouched approach to the companion way.  The installation
of a Bimini is challenged by the boom height and cockpit traveler.  I tend
to stand on the aft lazaret hatches when helming so designing a Bimini high
enough for me to stand and short enough to avoid the boom creates a
problem.  In my mind I would have the Bimini project out the back in an
overhead mirror image to the reverse transom.  Properly designed this could
accommodate davits and over 800w of solar power.

While technically 39.6 feet long the reverse transom accounts for about 4
feet of that length.  The narrowing in the hips is athletically and
functionally pleasing but combined with the reverse transom makes the size
of the boat more equivalent to other 35 footers.  I've been told that the
designer had been drafting a new model of 37 and was attempting to compete
with the other build styles of the time with near vertical bow and stern.
He hated the appearance.  On the drawing board he took the rectangular
profile and stretched the corners making a parallelogram.  As I understand
it, he described this as something to the effect of having added $40 of
fiberglass to the bow and stern and having resulted in an overall length of
~40 feet.  In order to differentiate the old model of 37 from the new the
marketing team called it the 37+.  Since this obviously creates confusion,
the 37+ was later referred to as 37+(37/40).  And then later as just 37/40.

The marketing team sold these as semi-custom builds and released 3
variants.  The +, the XL, and the R.  The R was designed to be a racing
boat.  It was stripped out, had a deep keel, and tall mast.  The XL had a
tall mast and a deep keel but included the interior of the +.  The + was
supposed to fill the racer-cruiser niche.  It had a shorter mast and
shallower swing keel.  All of these variants could have the various options
mix and matched.

The tall rig has triple spreaders and check stays/running backs.  I find
that the check stays get in the way more than anything.  I've seen the
backstay attachment break loose from the transom in another boat with the
shorter mast.  I would inspect closely.  I've also heard criticisms of the
tabbing but have not personally seem examples of poor quality.  The tankage
is low compared to other more cruiser oriented 40 foot boats.  60 gallons
of water, 20 of black water and 40 of fuel.  In a conservation mode you
should plan on at least one gallon of water per person per day.  One gallon
of fuel per hour.  And with the traditional jabsco toilet pump plan on 1
gallon per flush.  20 flushes is pretty limited.  Fortunately, the PO
installed a vacu-flush on board my boat.  At 1 pint per flush, I can handle
~150 flushes.  It uses water from the freshwater tanks but this also
minimizes the development of hydrogen sulfide and associated smell.  The
freshwater also flushes uric acid that clogs the pipes.  Of course this is
at the expense of the already limited supply of fresh water.  Compare these
tankage limits to those of a Morgan OI /41 or a Caliber 40.

The reverse transom is about the only feasible place to locate a fixed
generator and/or a water maker.  Putting them there would make servicing a
real pain.   Alternatively you could put them under the v-birth but at the
expense of storage and you would have to overcome considerable distances
and potential noise.  I have an A/C unit installed directly above my
engine, under the companion way stairs.  It doesn't have adequate
distribution and is horrible at cooling the boat.  The unit may have other
problems making matters worse.  The reverse transom also projects out such
that damage during the life of the boat is nearly inevitable.  This
projection also makes installing any type of davit or wind vane system
quite challenging.

The crown jewel aft queen birth has less than adequate ventilation and it
is difficult to know which way to sleep in the bed.  Feet aft seems to be
the least likely to result in a concussion but the reading lights are such
that you would have to be head aft to make use of them.  Our original
cushion was inadequate and resulted in a very uncomfortable night.  We had
a new latex mattress made and not sleep much more comfortably.

The steering system has a fatal flaw which positions the entire steering
gear under a removable fiberglass deck panel.  The edson bull gear is
unpainted aluminum.  Not the worst case but not the best.  Inspection,
service and replacement are a breeze.  A more fatal condition is the
turning sheaves which reside directly under the steering pedestal.  Edson
never expected these to be exposed to the marine environment and as such
made the base plate out of carbon steel.  This wouldn't even be so bad
except that the part is no longer made.  Particular attention should be
given to this item before any serious strain is placed on the steering
system.

The boat does sail like a dream and for a few days on the hook is fine.
Much more than 3 or 4 and you'll probably start wishing for more water.
Offshore or in heavy weather you'll probably wish for something stiffer and
with a full or modified full keel.

I have the original Yanmar 3HM35F (freshwater cooling) engine.  It is
slightly under powered in my opinion.  I have the 3 blade maxprop and with
clean prop and bottom can just barely reach 7 kts.

I have a 100 amp alternator which keeps my batteries nicely topped up
simply motoring in and out of port while cruising.  I have 200AHr as one
bank of batteries and 400AHr as the second.  I also have 200w of solar on
the roof of the hard dodger.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD