From: Edd Schillay via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Edd Schillay <e...@schillay.com>
Sent: Mon, Jul 9, 2018 11:11 am
Subject: Re: Stus-List 37/40 recommendations?

Chuck,

While I can’t comment on the winged-keel version specifically, I’ve had my 1990
C&C 37+ for 13 years now (the Enterprise-A was a 1978 C&C 34) and can’t say
enough about how wonderful a boat it is.

SAILING
She’s responsive, points well and can handle heavier wind and chop better than
pretty much any other boat in her class. For cruising, I find the 135% jib to
be perfect in just about every wind range - never overpowered and can easily
hit 7.2 knots (or, as we say on my boat, Warp 7.2) on the jib alone (Pic). Once
you get the boat, if it doesn’t already have one, I would suggest installing a
“Stack Pack” system for the main (Pic1 | Pic 2) as, without one, getting the
main up or down, especially in a breeze, can be a multi-person job between the
flaking and sail ties (Pic).

ACCOMODATIONS
She is simply a cruiser’s dream. The biggest complaint I’ve heard about
monohulls is that it feels like you’re in a basement. Not true with the 37/40
series. It’s light, airy and very comfortable. The V-berth forward cabin in
spacious with LOTS of storage, the main cabin bright, has great ventilation,
and between the starboard-side u-shaped seating (Pic), the port-side bench
seating (Pic), the nav table and the L-shaped galley, you won’t be bumping into
each other. The head is bigger than some cruise-ship bathrooms with a separate
enclosed shower stall (with seat too!) and that aft cabin with the centerline
island queen bed is just phenomenal (Pic). She will be the envy of all your
friends and, if you’re lucky, you may get a white-bearded C&C 30 MkII owner
come aboard and say things like “I f-in hate you” and who tells other C&C’ers
“Don’t go back there” when they start inching towards your aft cabin.

MAINTENANCE
What’s better on a boat than doing projects and customizing? I’m often amazed
at how much access there is to wiring and other systems. And engine access is
on three-sides (some have added a fourth side hatch in their head) making
engine work pretty easy with less blood-covered knuckles.

Some additional under-sail (racing) photos (Pic1 | Pic2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4)

Seriously, it’s such an amazing boat that, even after 25 years, the designer
can’t help but stare (Pic)

Feel free to contact me off list should you need any specific info or insights.

All the best,

Edd

Edd M. Schillay
Starship Enterprise