Dennis:

There is a gadget, not sure what the correct name is, maybe called a 'line pole'.......you simply place the outer loop on it and reach down on drop your line on the pier cleat.

I have one but never use it.....I just step off the boat through my starboard gate where I have a line with a 'snubber' on it with the outer end with a loop hanging on the top lifeline at the gate and the inboard end loop around my primary winch.

If I didn't want to leave the cockpit, I would use the 'line pole' but that is one more thing to take out and put away, although it could stay on the coach roof resting on the handrail.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2018-08-08 6:25 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was over at the boat yesterday and explored several.  The one that looks most promising was suggested by several listers, the continuous line from forward to the cockpit.  I attached a line to the toerail and brought it outside the lifelines back to the primary winch.  I configured it such that, when dropped on the pier's outermost cleat, it will stop the boat and keep the stern from swinging away from the pier. Didn't actually try it but I am optimistic.

The challenge will be dropping it on the cleat if single handing.  It's a floating pier and the cleat is a couple feet below the toe rail.

BTW, I will attach the line to the toe rail with a soft shackle.  That will prevent damage to the toe rail anodizing as well as minimize damage to the dock line.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA