I might need a picture but I believe core material only has one purpose -
reduce weight.  It isn't necessary.  Wherever there is rot I believe you
can dig it out and replace with thickened epoxy.  You can even do this to a
limited extent without removing the roving on the surface.  Various
implements can dig out the rot through well planned access holes and then
just fill and fare the thickened epoxy flush.  You'll retain the strength,
structure, and dimensions of the original roving but eliminate the rot,
rebond the inner and outer skins, and create a solid rot proof foundation.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD