I would second Graham's comments.  We sailed with our kids, one whom was severely disabled.  I learned that a sailboat has lots of places to hang an IV, and that we could still have a lot of really good family times sailing and cruising.  Racing was out for a bit. My daughter started sailing 6 months before she was born, and now at 20 has taken on a whole race team of her own. We have lots of stories of cruising together and enjoy our time on the water.

There is actually a pretty good book written by Lyndsay Green titled: Babies Aboard for lots of ideas on sailing with kids.
Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Babies-Aboard-Lyndsay-Green/dp/0071560300

Cheers,
   Jeff Nelson