I’m not sure where to reference the regulations/guidelines on this, so if
someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I would like to add a couple more batteries and am looking  at AGMs due to
their tolerance of being at an angle.  Since, as I understand, they are not
technically a lead-acid, do they still need to be installed in a battery box?
I’m very tight on space and could use the extra few inches.

Thanks,

Pete