I don't think a formalized commercially available box is specifically
required.  If you find references contrary please let me know. However
"battery boxes" serve multiple purposes beyond acid containment.  Properly
engineered and installed boxes ensure that a loop seal is maintained such
that water cannot get in the box should the boat flood.  They
simultaneously allow gasses to escape, and provide battery encapsulation.

Here are a few references.

https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/the-large-battery-bank-equation-part-i

https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/assets/builders-handbook/ELECTRICAL.pdf

https://marinehowto.com/installation-orientation-of-flooded-batteries-on-boats/

ABYC E-10 is the pdf I was looking for but unable to immediately source.
ABYC is similar to the underwriters laboratories.  They don't write the law
but they do make industry standards for safety which will likely define
whether or not an insurance claim will be paid.  The electrical pdf above
gives reference to the CFRs.  The actual law.

AGM are a type of lead acid technology.  They are not at risk of spilling
their acid and can be mounted at varying angles and orientations.  They can
vent gasses, though when they do it is permanently damaging to the
battery.  If you delve into AGM be mindful of the stringent charging
differences and make sure that all of your charging sources (shore power
charger, alternator, solar) are changed to match.  Do not under any
circumstances allow an equalize to be applied to an AGM.  Any voltages
above 14.6v will cause permanent damage.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD