Hii Dennis- That is the first I have heard of a plastic trim cap.  Is this
something attached to each side of the mast entry box?  It makes sense to have
something to protect the halyard from the metal edges, but I don’t know if
something is up there or not.  I will bring my stabilized zoom telephoto camera
next time and see if I can get a look.  As to location of the damage, it is
very hard to tell exactly where it is.  The damage happens slowly over a season
and by the time I notice it, the cover is pulled apart by about 4-5”.  The
start of the damage is about 8 inches above the furler, so it is either just as
the rope enters the mast or slightly further which would be the sheave or
something just inside. Impossible to tell which from the deck.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT