From: Gary Russell <captnga...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:39 AM
To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Tom Buscaglia <t...@sv-alera.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List 37+ Rudder Bearing

Gentlemen,
     I must admit that I always intend to take lots of pictures to record my
progress, then fail to do it because I am so focused on the goal that I forget
the record keeping.  I will try to do better.  I have set up a Google Drive
folder with a few picture to start
here<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nAwqpQNBAmweOAqNtsxQC91Tzfh8QNV0?usp=sharing>.
  Keep coming back as I add more (when the weather clears).  Meanwhile, the
rudder is out and hanging in my garage.  The bearings show significant wear in
the longitudinal direction and less in transverse.  There appears to be no
other significant damage.  My next project is to get the bearings out.  The
bearings are (nominally) 3" ID 4.125" OD.  The top bearing is 2.5 " long and
the bottom is 3.0".  My next step is to remove the bearings.  I'm hoping to
pull them with a slide hammer puller, but will probably have to cut them out.
The bearings are made out of Delrin (acetal plastic).  Once out I will make new
ones (having a lathe helps a lot).  More to come.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+
East Greenwich, RI, USA