I was surprised at the loads, and have no idea why there is a difference
to the various load calculators and postings.

Windburn has ARCO 40s as the primary winches. They are similar to the new
offerings with a 6.3:1 second gear ratio and a 3.25" drum diameter.

http://www.arco-winches.com/products/winch/stdi

With a 10" winch handle the power ratio would be

10 x 6.3 / 1.625 = 38.8

Am I correct in extrapolating that with 50 lbs force on the handle

there would be about 2000 lbs force on the line?

At high winds and full load my best guess is I am developing over
100 lbs of force on the winch handle, hence my guess at 4000 lbs.

My headsail is in the 300 sq ft range and even at 15 knots the load
on the winch handle is well over 20 lbs.

I don't know what the discrepancies are. I originally used calculators
to come up with a load rating and spec'd the rigging to match.
We wore out the turning block in the first year. The 3/8" standard
doublebraid sheet failed at the clew, though we were pounding into
high wind and waves for hours. I upgraded to New England VPC
3/8, good for 6000 lbs, and broke the core where it turns on the
genoa lead car.

>From the Harken site a 300 sq ft sail at 8 knots would have a 83 pound load.
I have no problem pulling 83 pounds and there is no way I can fully pull
in my #1 by hand at 8 knots. If I really got my back into it and pulled as hard
as I could I might get well over 200 pounds, good for 13 knots on the Harken
site. There is no possibility of me trimming the jib by hand at 13 knots.

Am I getting something wrong?

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1

From: "Dennis C." <capt...@gmail.com>

300 sq. ft of headsail at 20 knots true is about 520 pounds load.

https://www.harken.com/content.aspx?id=9096

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA