Alright 37/40 owners,

Anybody ever remove the tracks for the adjustable jib sheet leads?  We
detected some water leaking around the fasteners (in the aft berth, stbd
closet and cabinet).  I was initially concerned that the deck area might be
cored and that leakage was going to mean rot.

I removed some of the bolts this afternoon.  Most of the nuts weren't even
tight and the backing washers seem a little inadequate.  The first
difficulty was finding a socket deep enough for the exposed stud.  Is seems
that the machine screws are about 1 inch too long.  I suspect that this was
to help engage each bolt and curve the track.  Anyone have other theories
for the extra length?

I probed around with a drill bit and was pleasantly surprised to find that
the deck appears to be solid glass.  I was disappointed to find that at
least 2, and more likely 3, of the 30 screws are obstructed by the
headliner.  2 are in cabinets where cutting out headliner material will be
irrelevant.  1 is against the aft bulkhead on the forward side.

I believe that the original bedding material was 4200 or 5200.  It is
already proving difficult to unseat the aft section of track where I've
removed the bolts.  I'm torn as to whether or not to proceed or just
reassemble and live with the minor leaks.  I'd probably be quick to live
with simply re-bedding to bolts accept that I can't access the deck
hole/deck surface without removing the track.  The track has a hollow
channel and I suspect that water accumulates in the hollow where it is then
able to wick down the threads of each fastener.  If I'm able to remove the
track I'll be able to easily apply bed-it butyl tape to the track and
fasteners.  I'll also be able to ensure that the holes in the deck are
counter sunk.

Anybody have and further thoughts, ideas, or experience?

Thanks,
Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+