    From: Josh Muckley via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com
    <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
    Date: 12/11/2018 10:15 PM (GMT-05:00)
    To: C&C List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>>
    Cc: Josh Muckley <muckl...@gmail.com <mailto:muckl...@gmail.com>>
    Subject: Stus-List 37+, Removing adjustable jib sheet tracks

    Alright 37/40 owners,

    Anybody ever remove the tracks for the adjustable jib sheet
    leads?  We detected some water leaking around the fasteners (in
    the aft berth, stbd closet and cabinet).  I was initially
    concerned that the deck area might be cored and that leakage was
    going to mean rot.

    I removed some of the bolts this afternoon.  Most of the nuts
    weren't even tight and the backing washers seem a little
    inadequate.  The first difficulty was finding a socket deep enough
    for the exposed stud.  Is seems that the machine screws are about
    1 inch too long.  I suspect that this was to help engage each bolt
    and curve the track.  Anyone have other theories for the extra
    length?

    I probed around with a drill bit and was pleasantly surprised to
    find that the deck appears to be solid glass.  I was disappointed
    to find that at least 2, and more likely 3, of the 30 screws are
    obstructed by the headliner.  2 are in cabinets where cutting out
    headliner material will be irrelevant.  1 is against the aft
    bulkhead on the forward side.

    I believe that the original bedding material was 4200 or 5200.  It
    is already proving difficult to unseat the aft section of track
    where I've removed the bolts.  I'm torn as to whether or not to
    proceed or just reassemble and live with the minor leaks.  I'd
    probably be quick to live with simply re-bedding to bolts accept
    that I can't access the deck hole/deck surface without removing
    the track.  The track has a hollow channel and I suspect that
    water accumulates in the hollow where it is then able to wick down
    the threads of each fastener.  If I'm able to remove the track
    I'll be able to easily apply bed-it butyl tape to the track and
    fasteners.  I'll also be able to ensure that the holes in the deck
    are counter sunk.

    Anybody have and further thoughts, ideas, or experience?

    Thanks,
    Josh Muckley
    S/V Sea Hawk
    1989 C&C 37+
    Solomons, MD

    Thanks everyone for supporting this list with your contributions.
    Each and every one is greatly appreciated. If you want to support
    the list - use PayPal to send contribution --