I am the 2nd owner of a 1984 C&C 32 and have sailed her for 14 yrs and never
had reason to close the cockpit drains and as mine were stuck when purchased I
assume the previous owner never closed them. Make sure the hose and connections
are  good and forget it.

I would be more concerned with the rudder grease cap as it is more important to
keep the rudder shaft greased. I have no experience there as mine are in good
condition. I would suggest starting with some rust remover treatment and then
liquid wrench or DL at the cap junction and then a thin pliers on the inner
shaft and a larger one on the outer cup rim and try to free the cap. If it was
ever greased it just might turn. I think that the entire assembly is either
screwed or glassed into the rudder shaft but not sure so hold on to the inner
shaft with the thin pliers when cranking the outer cap and only apply the
pliers to the rim of the outer shell ( forward end ) or you will deform the
shell.

Good luck

John

C&C 32 Arpeggio