In 2005 I sold a Kirby 25 and was looking for a C&C 30 MKI all along the East Coast....couldn't find one that I was interested in other than one for sale right here in Halifax....it had been extensively updated, however, there was a potential buyer in 'front of me'....he bought the boat.

I kept looking on Yachtworld....then in early 2006 I saw a 1984 C&C 32 in Racine, Wisconsin....original owner, well maintained and eager to sell (he had bought a new Dufour36)

The point is that after the agree selling price, taxes at the border, trucking costs, the C&C32 cost me approx. $2,500 more than the local C&C30.

However, if your budget won't permit you to go above $25K, doing something similar in your case might not be in the cards if trucking costs are added to the selling price for a Canadian Great Lake boat.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - #277
Halifax, N.S.

On 2019-01-10 12:58 a.m., Shawn Wright via CnC-List wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I've talked to brokers, but there are so few listings around here that they don't have anything to show me. I have visited and walked every dock within a 2 hour drive from here, but being on an island, that's not a lot of boats, even with cruising grounds in our backyard. There are new private listings starting to appear every day now, but nothing new at the brokers yet. The problem is I have not nailed down what I want yet, so the boats that have interested me are hugely varied, and usually just out of my price range - like Westsail 32, Nicholson 35, CS 36T. The CS 36T I have not been on board, but there are 5 of them nearby, and the interior photos I've seen look great, but it's about double my budget, so I'm now considering the CS 30, but they are much less common here. Lots of C&Cs, but anything over 27' is usually asking too much, like $30K+. I even looked at Catalina 30...

The only C&C 32 listed here currently is asking $40K, and the broker says it's because the wife says sell, but the husband doesn't want to, so he won't drop the price... There are a ton of C&Cs here (at WestPort in Sidney they are more common that Catalinas) but the prices seem higher than most places.

I do need to get on board a few more C&Cs to get a feel for them, as I have only been on the 26, 35-2 and 37 so far. And yes, a diesel is a must. Trouble is, I want a decent light air boat that can also handle rough seas that we will sea at times, especially north of Desolation Sound. And that usually means at least 32', which is a challenge to get for $20-25K CAD.

But I am learning at lot along the way. :)

Thanks