Just a bit more info on the C&C 35-2 'Callisto' that I viewed last week and
decided to pass on. My wife had the same feeling, but hers was based mainly
on the interior (which I didn't think was that bad), aside from the 70s
molded headliner (complete with many holes from wiring mods and the dodger,
etc). That weekend I also was invited aboard another 35-2, so I had a feel
for the interior already. I don't mind it, although I think I am changing
my opinion of the dinette vs. drop-down table; having been on some boats
with the drop-down, I prefer it as it can be out of the way quicker when
not needed.

Anyway, a few other unique things this boat had installed by the previous
owner:

- water maker driven off engine pulley (he owns a watermaker company) and
installed in box to starboard of engine at sole level
- engine driven bilge pump in addition to two electric and manual. Not sure
how it is engaged/disengaged
- dual 65A alternators - all those extra belts are a bit scary - 4 pulleys
off the crank
- solar panels over cockpit aft on very heavy aluminum I-beams, room for 4
panels and 6x 6V batteries
- solent rig with dual furlers, apparently properly braced below deck,
although I didn't verify
- huge anchor and roller, along with stainless bow eye in hull - he didn't
want anchor to slip I guess. Possibly it was on a mooring buoy so the bow
eye would make sense.

Although some things looked to be fairly well installed, others did not:
- poorly finished plywood battery box in port lazarette, along with refrig
unit covered in rust (probably not a marine grade unit)
- possibly the most annoying were all the holes in the molded headliner,
with exposed wiring junctions, etc. I assume some of the wiring is captive
so he decided to start cutting small holes. That and the holes for the
dodger mounting made it look like swiss cheese. Is the wiring that
difficult to upgrade up there? I'd probably try to cover the headliner with
panels of white and teak to hide all this, since I'm not a fan of molded
liners.

The main problem with this boat is that even with all these 'upgrades' in
the past 2-3 years, everything from a safety standpoint (at a minimum)
becomes suspect to me based on the evidence of questionable workmanship
quality. The fact that the VW diesel injection pump was off being repaired
was another red flag. I know these engines very well, having rebuilt
several, and the injection pumps are bullet proof. Only two things will
cause this type of failure: bad fuel, and someone messing with them. My van
has an '86 engine with the original pump and >600k kms. It developed a leak
this year, but has otherwise been trouble free.

It is a shame, because it seems like a solid boat, and the current owner is
a very nice guy, but I have too many projects already. I just want a boat I
can sail, and feel safe and confident in.

Thanks

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 2:56 PM Shawn Wright <shawngwri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Had a look at the 35 mk2 in Victoria, and while it will be a great boat
> for someone, we've decided it's just not for us. There is a lot of value in
> recent upgrades, but the quality of workmanship is not quite what I'd like
> to see, and there is a bit too much complexity in the engine compartment,
> with dual alternators, watermaker, etc. Having now been on two 35s, I can
> say that it is still a contender on our list though. The owner is motivated
> to sell, so if you're interested, I can pass along his contact info.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 10:30 AM Shawn Wright <shawngwri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the info. Going to look at the boat today, so I will
>> report back. I was invited on board another '74 35 mk2 yesterday, after
>> viewing a Catalina (am I allowed to say that here...?) 30 and a CS 27.
>> Needless to say, I preferred the C&C, and it just made me more curious
>> about Callisto. If the work done appears to be well executed and not a hack
>> job. Will report back...
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 9:40 AM Dave S via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree on condition and will add that it’s well Worth paying a bit more
>>> for a boat with recent upgrades, esp if they are the upgrades you’d make
>>> anyway.  (The Bimini you’d buy anyway is effectively  free in a used
>>> boat).

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com