I recently got an Acer 9.6 tablet for $160 CAD for travel, and eventually
to use with Navionics or similar. I used it for a month in Costa Rica
(where I tethered it to the data on my cell phone - 30 days/2Gb data for
$20!) for email and GPS with google maps (we rented a car for 2 weeks) and
it worked great. I bought this unit because it has two USB ports and a
micro SD slot - I added another 64Gb storage, and I also used one of the
USB ports to charge my cell phone via a micro USB to USB adapter, which
also allows me to plug in an SD card reader for photo downloads. Not the
most powerful tablet, but I like having the extra ports, so I only need to
carry one USB wall charger to charge two devices.

I haven't tried Navonics yet, but may try Open Plotter first...

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Dr. Mark Bodnar via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Tom,
>
> As noted the Apple products have the GPS chip tied to the cell system -
> thus requiring you buy a more expensive cellular enabled unit.
>

> Another option is Android tablets.  For $160 cdn you can get an Acer 8"
> screen Android tablet at Costco, or $230 for a 9.6" screen Samsung -
> neither has cell capacity but both should have the GPS capacity you're
> looking for.  Cheaper than the iPad.  Of course there are other Android
> options that rival the iPad costs - some even with built in waterproofing.
>

> I use a couple older tablets for my navigation - download maps and info
> with WiFi when I'm at home.  They do come with one challenge that I've
> noticed - harder to find good cases for some of these tablets because they
> don't have the sales numbers of Apple.
>

> Mark
>

> There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
>   - George Santayana
>
> On 2019-01-14 9:23 p.m., T power via CnC-List wrote:
>
> Awesome, thanks, much appreciated
>
> Tom Power
> Invictus
> C&C 30 MK1