From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Rick Brass via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2019 12:44 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass
Subject: Re: Stus-List Tablet for navigation

As has been pointed out before, you do not need to actually activate the
cellular service on the tablet, it just needs to be cellular capable. That’s
because the cellular capable units have an internal GPS, which the WiFi only
units do not. Now, if you have a WiFi network on your boat and it can transmit
data from your GPS, then you don’t even need cellular capability.

I use an old Gen3 IPad with the cell service not activated. I carry it with
when I do boat deliveries. It is the only chart plotter on those rare occasions
when I sail my 25. It was the defacto chart plotter for the schooner that I was
captain of, and was the original chart plotter on the 83 foot tour boat I work
on.

But have you thought about buying another brand of tablet? My IPad was a gift,
so I’ve used it for the past 10 or 11 years. But I was in process of getting a
Samsung Galaxy tablet (on the recommendation of my son in law, who is an IT
guy) when I was given the IPad. The Samsung tablet is waterproof and shock
proof… and well less than half the cost of a new IPad.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC