The original grey, opaque plastic pipe that was commonplace in the late 70s
& early 80s was polybutylene.

My understanding is the issue with this material is in residential use it
split open causing a flood, in situations where pressures AND temperatures
are high (180F).  It was taken off the market and companies were, and still
are reluctant to make compatible fittings out of liability fears.  Having
said that, I've kept the poly-b in my boat as it unlikely to fail since my
my water is only periodically under pressure, its only 40 psi, and it never
gets really hot.  if it was in my house, I'd remove it.

Vinyl tubing tends to shrink, yellow and harden up over time.

I'd do 1/4" or 3/8" pex if I was running new, but not sharkbites for
fittings, there are lots of other compression fitting available at lower
cost.

Just my $0.02
Eric