Many of our older boats have smaller, high aspect mains.  Unlike newer
designs, older C&C's are primarily headsail driven.

For a 35-1,

sail area of main = 260 sq. ft.  (0.5 x P x E)
Area of foretriangle = 320 sq. ft. (0.5 x I x J)

Headsail areas

100%  320 sq. ft.
135%  430 sq. ft.
155%  500 sq. ft.

Even with a 100% jib, there is more sail area.  Even considering the boom
stretches the sail flatter, a headsail is still a lot of power.

I suppose one could discuss CE vs CR with the different configurations but
that is primary relevant with regard to pointing ability and weather helm
when close hauled.

I can't remember the last time I sailed Touche' with only the main.  I
sometimes used main only to get a little push when motor sailing very close
to the wind.

Guess I'm lazy but I tend to sail genoa only a good portion of my casual
sailing time.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA