We're getting down to the final days before closing on the C&C 35-2, and
I'm getting a bit discouraged by the number of things needing work, and the
way in which the previous owner did a lot of things:

-the electrical is a mess, with the original fuse panel having quite a few
additional switches, and while the original wire runs have been replaced,
seeing the quality of work make me want to just rip it all out and start
again. Most of it works, and the junctions are soldered/heatshrunk, but it
appears that left over wire was used in many places.

-the engine is *very* complex, and scary to try to comprehend, with hoses
criss-crossing between the engine and both cockput locker areas for a
watermaker, two heat exchangers, hot water tank, etc. Lots of valves and
very little consistency in hose or valve type/diameter, and mix of plastic,
steel and bronze fittings.

-the engine itself is a VW 1.6 diesel, which I am intimately familiar with,
having worked on many, but it's all the custom marine add-ons that worry
me. It runs well, but I know that this probably the primary reason the boat
has not sold for a year. Imagine a typical marine engine, then multiply the
hoses and valves by 4-5x.

-windows are original and completely opaque, although they amazingly don't
seem to leak

-it has space for 3 pairs of 6V golf cart batteries, but only 4 installed.
I found the cables for the other 2 batteries lying loose, not taped, and
was shocked (pun intended) to find they were live! I taped them off
quickly. Stuff like this on a boat just makes me wonder what else I will
find, although I've scoured the boat pretty heavily, so have probably found
the worst of it.

On the positive side, we took it out in the harbour today in winds of 20kn
with gusts to 35 and the engine easily powered her to 5kn into the wind and
6.5kn downwind. Getting her out and back into the dock was a challenge
though. I would have preferred to stay out and try sailing to see how she
handled, but the owner was not keen on it.

The problem is this: I have spent a year trying to find a boat, and now
just want to go sailing. There is a nice looking C&C 30 for about the same
price right next to it, and another across town that I looked at before, in
excellent shape. Or there is an Ericson 29 that is spartan but meticulous
kept for half the price. I know the Ericson is much slower (rates around
195) but they sail quite well I'm told. I'm just having a hard time coming
to terms with spending $22K for a boat that needs so much work, even a
35-2. Someone who is less particular than me might not see a problem, but I
suspect many others have, or the boat would have sold already. The owner
already told me that even if I find problems he will not go below $21500,
since he has two other buyers waiting, so I have to decide if this boat is
worth it given the amount of work it will need in the future. I suspect
when it comes time to sell, I will not be able to do so unless I drop a
more common engine in.

Buying a boat should not be this difficult!

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com