Thanks, Alan. How do you find the 35-3 compares with the Ericson 2-30 in
terms of build and sailing properties? I know they are different sizes from
different eras, but just curious. Ericson was my first choice for a while
until I basically gave up finding a good one locally. I've seen on only one
32-200 in the past year, and it was over $40K.
I know what you mean about size not mattering; a friend has gone around the
globe twice, including Cape Horn, in 27' - 1st an Albin Vega, and later a
Vancouver 27. The Vancouver is a tough little boat, but lack of a proper
double berth rules it out for us.

The Ericson guys say there is a big difference in hull stiffness between
the older 70s boats and the 80s+ boats with the integral grid in the hull
pan. So I wonder how much flexing a 35-2 will undergo in rough seas, and
how this will impact the boat over time. An Ericson 35-2 is currently
offshore and the owner has reported lots of hull flexing, and they are
built very similar to 70s C&Cs, with very thick FG (nearly 1" at the bottom
of hull), but only stringers every 18-24" across the hull, so the hull
flexes longitudinally in rough seas, which must be hard on the rig.

I have heard the same reports about seas off the Wa/BC coast (and have
experienced a bit of it in a power boat), including more than one person
who has gone around the globe, and said they encountered the worst
conditions off this coast.

Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com