My Landfall 39 has crossed the Pacific a couple of time with previous owners.
Although not a light air boat (compared to the LF38), It feels solid under full
sail in 25kt winds. Doug Mountjoy Sv Rebecca Leah LF39 1988253-208-1412Port
Orchard YC wa.
-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Helsdingen via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 4/24/19  13:16  (GMT-08:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Jeff Helsdingen <onemorej...@gmail.com> Subject: Re:
Stus-List C&C as offshore boat? According to stories from the previous owner my
35-1 sailed across the Atlantic and back with either the first or second owner.
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, 3:06 PM Shawn Wright via CnC-List,
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:Thanks, Dave. I think there is probably a big
difference between going down the Pacific coast to Mexico, and going offshore
to Hawaii or the South Pacific, mainly in that the former is limited to 3-5
days offshore between safe ports, vs 20+ days for the latter, meaning weather
windows are easier to hit. At this early stage, I really don't know if we'll go
offshore, but if things go well, I'd like to go down the coast to Mexico at
least, without having to search for another boat. If I already had enough
experience, I'd probably just fly to California and find a boat there, then
sail it to Mexico, and have the advantage of 10x as many boats to choose from.
But I want to sail our local waters first, something I've wanted to do since I
was a kid. I grew up around powerboats and fishing boats, and always looking
longingly at the sailboats as I endured the drone and smell of the
engine...Your accounting of your purchase is quite interesting; thanks. Does
that include moorage/storage, insurance, etc.? If so, that is very good value.
What do you think she would sell for today? If we had done this a few years ago
when I was still working, I would just spend the money on a nicer boat, or not
worry about fixing it up. But being only a few months into retirement, and with
my wife still working but soon to retire also, the uncertainty of our real
living expenses going forward are a significant factor. Moorage is at least
$4K/year here, unless we can join a club, or put it on a mooring buoy, but
winter storms are an issue with a buoy. Lots of spare parts on the beaches this
winter from all the boats washed ashore...On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM Dave
Godwin <dave.god...@me.com> wrote:Shawn,Been watching your rumination on buying
that 35-II.I’ve delivered a C&C 34 from Fort Lauderdale to Port Royal, Jamaica,
no stops. It was fine for that but all we had to deal with was constant
headwinds for days on end.I’m flying into Ponta Delgada, Azores on May 4 to
assist my friend on the final leg home to Gosport, England from Antigua. They
just spent 48 hours in Force 7 conditions mid-Atlantic. I would not have wanted
to be in my boat in those conditions. His boat is an Oyster 485. Big
difference.I consider my boat to be a good coastal cruiser. I’d go to Bermuda
with (hopefully) a good weather window. IMO, C&C’s are quite strong but have
their limits if extended offshore passage making is the desire.Of course, the
French regularly pile entire families on Beneteaus and cross oceans just fine.
;-)Regards,
Dave Godwin1982 C&C 37 - RoninReedville - Chesapeake BayRonin’s Overdue Refit
P.S.    Back to your purchase decision thread. We bought our boat in 1997 as a
bank repo. The description of the 35-II sounds much better compared to the
condition of our boat when we purchased it. One thing to consider is the
average cost to own over time. Despite replacing/rebuilding or adding 1) engine
rebuild, 2) all wiring, 3) plumbing, 4) cushions, 5) roller furling, 6) sails,
7) electronics, 8) below deck autopilot, 9) stove, 10) distribution panel, 11)
windlass, 12) fixed ports (2x), 13) opening ports (2x), 14) cabin sole (2x),
15) Harken self-tailing deck winches (2x), 16) Harken mainsheet traveler system
(2x), 17) all new rod and running rigging, well, I’ll stop there. No, wait.
Completel Awlcraft paint job, hull and topsides. Whew!But here’s the deal; I
keep detailed records as part of my rebuild “hobby” and the yearly average
costs over time is $7,000.00 U.S. Includes everything with the exception of the
$25,000 that we paid for it.I will be interested in your decision. Good luck!
On Apr 24, 2019, at 11:21 AM, Shawn Wright via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:I'm going to switch things up a bit from the gloomy topic of my current
boat purchase: how many of you have taken your C&C offshore, and if so, which
boat, where to, and how did it manage the conditions? If you have not gone
offshore, what are the worst conditions you've experienced in a C&C, and how
would the performance of the boat in these conditions make you feel about
taking it offshore?One of the very first boats we looked at was a Westsail 32
(don't laugh), partly because they are proven world cruisers, and the boat has
been from BC to NZ and back. But with our fickle air in the summer here, a good
light air boat seems like a better choice, but I also want something that can
take a beating without worrying about our safety.-- Shawn
wrightshawngwri...@gmail.com
_______________________________________________Thanks everyone for supporting
this list with your contributions.  Each and every one is greatly appreciated.
If you want to support the list - use PayPal to send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray-- Shawn wrightshawngwri...@gmail.com