Greetings Camille and welcome to the list!  My LF38 has not had your issue.
But. When I upgraded the steering pedestal we found that the cockpit sole had
completely desalinated, so, we had about a 2'x3' piece of marine plywood vacuum
sealed with fiberglass resin and new holes drilled, with edges sealed,  for the
pedestal and rudder post.  In retrospect I had noticed a puddle of rainwater
accumulating around the rudder post.  It was about a $3,500 repair but needed
to be done.The grease cap is on the aft side of the lower rudder.  I replaced
it with a grease fitting on a 5' hose leading to a bracket under the strbd
laserette.  I add a squeeze once a year.  BTW, I've removed and replaced the
rudder about 6 times.  I finally had it rebuilt by competition composites in
Ottawa.  Now it is only 150lbs instead of 300 :-oGood luck, Camille!Spencer
Johnson 84 LF 38 "Alegria " #165Racine, WI